Pungent, warm and toxic2 MERIDIANS
Spleen stomach and lung.3 FUNCTIONS
- To dry dampness and resolve phlegm;
- To conduct rebellious qi downward and stop vomiting;
- To reduce distension and disperse nodules.
- Phlegm-damp cough due to deficient spleen manifested as cough with profuse, dilute and white sputum Pinellia tuber (Ban Xia) is used with Tangerine peel (Chen Pi) and Poria (Fu Ling) in the formula Erchen Tang.
- Nausea and vomiting due to rebellious stomach qi:
- stomach cold type-Pinellia tuber (Banxia) is used with Fresh ginger (Sheng Jiang) in the formula Xiao Banxia Tang;
- stomach heat type-Pinellia tuber (Banxia) si used with Bamboo shavings (Zhu Ru) and Loquat leaf (Pi Pa Ye);
- pregnancy type-pinellia tuber (Banxia) is used with Perilla stem (Sugeng) and Amomum fruit (Sha Ren);
- stomach weakness type-Pinellia tuber (Banxia) is used with Ginseng (Ren Shen) and Jujube (Da Zao).
- Globus hystericus due to qi stagnation and accumulation of phlegm-damp manifested as a feeling of having a foreign body in the throat, fullness and distension in the chest and epigastric region and nausea. Pinellia tuber (Banxia) is used with Magnolia bark (Hou Po), Perilla leaf (Zi Su Ye) and Poria (Fuling) in the formula Houpo Tang.
- Goiter, scrofula and subcutaneous nodule. Pinellia tuber (Banxia) is used with Laminaria (Kun Bu), Seaweed (Hai Zao) and Tendrilled fritillary buld (Chuan Bei Mu).
5-10 g6 COUTIONS
This herb is contraindicated in cases with dry cough due to deficient yin, or cough due to phlegm-heat. Alao, it cannot be used together with the herb Sichuan aconite root (Wutou).