Pungent and warm2 MERIDIANS
Lung, spleen and stomach3 FUNCTIONS
- To promote diaphoresis and release the exterior;
- To warm the spleen and stomach and alleviate vomiting;
- To warm the lungs and alleviate cough.
- Wind-cold exterior syndrome manifested as chills, fever, headache and nasal obstruction. The herb is used to strengthen the diaphoretic function.
- Vomiting due to cold in the stomach. Fresh ginger (Sheng Jiang) is often used with Pinellia tuber (Ban Xia). In vomitin due to heat in the stomach, Fresh ginger (Shengjiang) should be used with Bamboo shaving (Zhu Ru) and Coptis root (Huang Lian).
This herb is contraindicated in yin deficiency with excessive heat in the interior.