Sweet and slightly warm
Spleen and lung
- To replenish qi and cause yang to ascend;
- To benefit qi and stabilize the exterior;
- To release toxins and promote healing;
- To promote water metabolism and reduce edema
- Deficient qi of the spleen and lungs manifested as poor appetite, loose stool, shortness of breath and lassitude. Astragalus root (Huang Qi) is used with Ginseng (Ren Shen) and White atractylodes ( Bai Zhu).
- Deficient qi and weakened yang manifested as chills and sweating. Astragalus root (Huangqi)is used with Prepared aconite root (Fu Zi).
- Qi sinking in the middle jiao due to weakness of the spleen and stomach manifested as prolapsed anus, prolapsed uterus and gastroptosis. Astragalus root (Huangqi) is used with Ginseng (Renshen), White atractylodes (Baizhu) and Cimicifuga rhizome (Sheng Ma) in the formula Buzhong Yiqi Tang.
- Failure of deficient qi of the spleen in controlling blood manifested as blood in the stool and uterine bleeding. Astragalus root (Huangqi) is used with Ginseng (Renshen) and Chinese angelica root (Dang Gui) in the formula Guipi Tang.
- Deficiency of qi and blood manifested as palpitations, anxiety, insomnia and forgetfulness. Astragalus root (Huangqi) is used with Longan aril (Long Yan Rou), Wild jujube seed (Suan Zao Ren) and Polygala root (Yuan Zhi) in the formula Guipi Tang.
- Spontaneous sweating due to exterior deficiency. Astragalus root (Huangqi) is used with Oyster shell (Mu Li), Light wheat (Fu Xiao Mai) and Ephedra root (Ma Huang Gen) in the formula Muli San.
- Night sweating due to yin deficiency and excessive fire. Astragalus root (Huangqi) is used with Fresh rehmannia root (Sheng Di Huang) and Phellodendron bark (Huang Bai) in the formula Danggui Liuhuang Tang.
- Deficiency of the spleen leading to dysfunction in transportation and transformation of waiter manifested as edema and scanty urine. Astragalus root (Huangqi) in the with Tetrandra root (Fang Ji) and White atractylodes (Huanqi) in the formula Fangji Huangqi Tang.
- Boils and ulcers due to qi and blood deficiency manifested as sores that have formed pus but have not drained or healed well. Astragalus root (Huangqi) is used with Cinnamon bark (Rou Gui), Chinese angelica root (Danggui) and Ginseng (Renshen).
- Retardation of circulation of the blood due to deficiency of qi and blood manifested as hemiplegia. Astragalus root (Huangqi) is used with Chinese angelica root (Danggui), Chuan Xiong rhizome (Chuanxiong) and Earthworm (Di Long) in the formula Buyang Huanwu Tang.
10-15 g (The maximum dosage can be 30-60 g).
This herb is contraindicated during yin deficiency and hyperactivity of yang, qi stagnation and accumulation of dampness, retention of food, exterior excess syndrome, and the early stage of carbuncles and furuncles.