Sweet, pungent and very cold2 MERIDIANS
Lung and stomach3 FUNCTIONS
- To clear heat and sedate fire;
- To relieve irritability and thirst
- Excessive heat at the qi level due to invasion by exogenous pathogenic heat manifested as high fever, irritability, thirst, profuse sweating and surging, rapid and forceful pulse. Gypsum (Shi Gao) is used with Anemarrhena rhizome (Zhi Mu) in the formula Baihu Tang.
- Excessive heat at both qi and blood levels due to invasion by exogenous pathogenic heat manifested as continual high fever and maculopapule. Gypsum (Shigao) is used with Scrophularia (Xuan Shen) and Rhinoceros horn (Xijiao).
- Cough and asthma caused by heat in the lungs manifested as cough and asthma accompanied by fever, thirst and desire to drink Gypsum (Shigao) is used with Ephedra (Ma Huang) and Apricot seed (Xing Ren) in the formula Ma Xing Shi Gan Tang.
- Flaring up of stomach fire manifested as toothache, swollen and painful gums and headache. Gypsum (shigao) is used with Fresh rehmannia root (Sheng Di Huang) and Anemarrhena rhizome (Zhimu) in the formula Yunu jian.
- Eczema, burns and abscess.Gypsum(Shigao) is used with Natural indigo (Qing Dai) and Phellodendron bark(Huang Bai).
This herb is contraindicated in cases with a weak stomach.