Pungent, sweet and cool2 MERIDIANS
Spleen and stomach3 FUNCTIONS
- To release the exterior
- To bring measles rash to the surface;
- To cause yang to ascend as So as to alleviate diarrthea;
- To clear heat and promote production of body fluids
- Exterior syndrome due to invasion by exogenous wind and cold manifested as stiffness of upper back or neck, absence of sweating, with Ephedra (Ma Huang), Cinnamon twigs (Gui Zhi) and White peony root (Bai Shao) in the formula Ge Gen Tang.
- Exterior syndrome due to invasion by exogenous wind and heat manifested as headache, fever, painful eyes and dry throat. Pueraria root (Gegen) is used with Bupleurum root (Chai Hu) and Scutellaria root (Huang Qin) in the formula Chai Ge Jieji Tang.
- Early stage of measles with incomplete expression of the rash, fever and chills. Pueraria root (Gegen) is used with Cimicifuga rhizome (Sheng Ma) in the formula Shengma Gegen Tang.
- Damp-heat dysentery. Pueraria root (Gegen) is used with Ophiopogon root (Maidong), Trichosanthes root (Tian Hua Fen) and Fresh rehmannia root (Sheng Di Huang).
To treat Diarrhea, the herb is first baked.